Friday, December 5, 2008

A day in Danao City

Hello Good Day: When I first arrived here in Danao City on several occasions I was greeted by young people saying, “Hello Jew.” At first I would shake my head and smile back at them. But after six or seven months I was tired of being greeted by “Hey Jew,” or “Hello Jew.” Soon I began replying in good humor, “No wrong religion, I’m good Presbyterian.” But this didn’t seem to help. And then like a bolt of lighting striking me it finally dawned on me, they weren’t saying “Jew” but saying “Joe.” Most just couldn’t pronounce Joe so the words came out as Jew. Well, shame on me. Now whenever a person greets me by saying, “hello Jew,” I know what they are really saying – it’s just that they can’t get their tongue around the word Joe. Chuckling to myself I smiled and then in good nature I say, “Hello Joe!” Papa Chuck

No comments: