Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Inside Us All

There will be reunions and parties across the land. Children will be sitting on the lap of a jolly old man dressed in a red suit, confessing their deepest desires. And finally, the morning of December 25th, children world over will be greeted by a shining trees filled with presents. There will be precious gifts wrapped in brightly colored paper under a cedar tree sitting here in front all, adorned with tiny lights shiny garlands, and delicate ornaments. Sitting surrounded by family. Gifts will be exchanged. You see, the material things sitting under that tree are not what we have given them. Those things can be broken or stolen or lost. What is more important is the love they represent in some woefully inadequate way. Christmas will slim this year for many. We know that the tree itself is a borrowed pagan symbol of the Winter Solstice festival. So are the lights, representing the stars on a cold cloudless winter night. None of that matters either. We all know what it is and WHO it is we celebrate. Christmas night, I will go to bed and lie there, deep in my thoughts. I will be thinking of all those who have so much less than I do. I will be saying quiet prayers for those who have lost a loved one at this worst possible time of year, for those who do not have a shelter over their heads, and for those shivering in worst cold than we will have. I will pray for peace for everyone who is angry. I will pray that those who are suffering around the world will have their suffering eased somehow. And I will again offer myself to be an instrument in easing any suffering I come across, as I do every year. Finally, I will drop off to sleep, probably in mid-prayer, thankful for the things we do have. For we have so much...

Merry Christmas to each and every one who reads this. May you all find that inner happiness and joy that exists within you. And may the New Year bring you peace and comfort in all you do, and success in all you attempt.

No comments: