Friday, March 20, 2009

Hot Rods & Me



Ah those were the days! I remember back to 1954 I when I took Betty Lou on her first date in my custom supped up hot rod. We drove to the nearest drive-in-hamburger joint where the girls were all about the same age as us, they waited on their customers wearing roller skates of all things. We put a nickel in the portable juke box hanging on the driver’s door window and listen to the latest popular song called “Earth Angel.” She was a sly sixteen year old and I wasn’t much older. On occasions we’d hear the roar of hot rod engine followed by a loud tooting of a horn as the driver announced he was there to all. I remember she wore a pink sweater with her hair tied in off a pony tail and I was soon to leave for the navy and the trials of boot camp. Ah yes, those were the days.

No comments: